Friday 16 May 2008

Student Finance Indirect

The question "is it worth it for a couple of hundred quid?" rarely has a realistic answer of "no". I mean obviously if the "it" involved killing someone or being tortured for months on end then we'd probably sacrifice the money, but on the whole a couple of hundred quid is worth a moderate investment of time and effort.

Unfortunately, the fates - coupled with my own idiocy and a hideously designed financing system - have conspired against me to make sure I go slightly poorer than I would otherwise have gone. I refer today to the ridiculous Student Finance Direct system. You see, having encountered a small problem with my University Bursary application (I'd filled out the form very slightly wrong), I was required to telephone the Student Finance office and ask them to rectify my mistake.

Upon dialling the number I got a set of multiple choice questions. 'Are you the policy holder?" and things along those lines. I was then asked the question "Please enter your ART ID. This can be found on any correspondence we have sent you". Not one to be disheartened quickly, I set off in search for one of the many letters Student Finance have sent me over the past year. Could I find one? Not a bloody chance.

Slightly angered I ventured to their website, where all I had to do to find out my ID was to enter my password and answer to secret question. I completed these steps only to be told they were wrong. So I tried another possible password. Wrong again. And again, and repeat ad naseum for 50 separate attempts.

Seeing as I only use two passwords for all my official business, I suddenly realised that Student Finance must be one of those that asks for a really obscure password. You know, the ones that are 50 characters in length and contain at least 3 numbers and a pirate flag. Admitting defeat, I clicked on the link to have them reset my password and send me the new details via my e-mail.



"Please enter you ART ID."


....FUCK!!


~Fox.

No comments: