Monday 21 April 2008

Metal Gear Offline

Sorry for my last post, I was just making a quick note of something I discussed and forgot to sign my name, as Az pointed out, and I assure you I was hunted down and mauled by seven hungry tigers as a fitting and just punishment. However, now that I have paid my dues to society, I feel another entry is in order to give me something to do as the wounds heal. Ears can grow back, right?

Anyhow, fully limbed or no, I recently discovered that pretty much everywhere on the globe was getting a downloadable beta of "Metal Gear Online", a PS3 exclusive featuring squad based combat and due to be shipped free with Metal Gear Solid 4 in mid-June. I was pretty chuffed at this, so I got to downloading and installing the application as fast as my Ethernet cable would allow.

24 hours later I was online and ready to go! Being the optimistic son of a bitch that I am, I had few worries on my mind as I selected "Start Game". With hindsight, I should have taken that itself as a dark omen hanging above my unknowing head. The first seemingly minor obstacle occurred when I had to enter my "Game ID", something which I can't get without first signing up for a 'Konami ID". Fair enough, a quick diversion to the registration website will see me blowing up other people in mere minutes! But, of course, the site doesn't work properly. Each page took half a minute to load, and after completing 99% of my form, I would click "Submit" only to be told that I had taken too long and the confirmation page had timed out.

Needless to say, Konami were spared the view of my gesture by my unrelenting good will and of course the sticks which I had taken to thrusting into their eyes. But, as their tears flowed red, my registration was finally complete and my metaphorical friends were both forgiven and given the name of a good eye doctor in braille.

Now I want to play a small game of "Choose your own adventure"! If registering solved everything, go to part (1). If more problem arose, skip (1) and go to (A). And yes I know it should be (2), but (A) kept complaining that it wasn't important enough and I'm too tired to have an argument with the voices in my head about political correctness and the inherent prejudices of our alphanumeric linguistics system, OK?



(1) Go to (A)



(A) "Unable to connect to server".

Needless to say the sticks were promptly returned to their rightful places as I ventured onto the MGO website looking for answers to my riddle. "The beta has been indefinitely suspended as we were not able to cope with the high volumes of traffic that far exceeded our expectations".

How fucking stupid can you get? So let me get this straight: A FREE beta test, giving users an insight into how Metal Gear Solid 4 will look and play, as well as granting the eagerly anticipated multiplayer, was not given a priority of "every fucking server we can get out hands on"? A sneak peak of one of the most eagerly anticipated games the world has ever known? And Konami are no strangers to the online world, many of their other games have a multiplayer component and MGO was given an alpha run out for anyone who bought MGS3: Subsistence on the PS2. So how exactly did they not see this coming? Did they honestly expect this to sneak under the radar? I can see their logic, after all its not like any of the other games in the series were hailed as revolutionary works of art that sold millions upon millions of copies? Right? ....hello?

In closing, these people need to get the simple age old message into their ridiculously short sighted minds that it is better to have too much than too few. If they have 50 servers and only need 30 then they can always shut a bunch down, but not having enough to meet demand is appalling, especially given the warning signs they had when the beta was announced and their registration site suffered the exact same problem.

Still, keep an eye out on the street from now on. If they have red-eye in real life, chances are they're a Konami employee!

Konami's foresight: 2/10

~ Fox

No comments: