Saturday 26 January 2008

Amusement, courtesy of the BBC

Yes, the BBC are awesome, as shown by the following article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7211443.stm

And I have nothing against the news at all, in fact this is quite an interesting thing to read. But I happened to notice something that interupted my enjoyment of this announcement of our incipent doom.

"We are looking at potential options to mitigate any possible damage this satellite may cause," said Gordon Johndroe, who speaks for the US National Security Council.

And an whole two paragraphs down:

"We are looking at potential options to mitigate any possible damage this satellite may cause," he said.

Why, in the name of Optimus Prime, have they used the exact same quote twice? I really don't get this, it boggles the mind! I had suspected that to be in the BBC you have to speak approximately no English, and use writing tools as hunting implements deep in the heart of the Arctic Tundra. This simply confirms my suspicions.

-Az

EDIT

As one of my lovely readers has pointed out to me, the use of the double quote has been removed from the BBC website. So I'm being read! Clearly somebody at the BBC has read my article, and is quite thankful for my spotting their mistake! To my anonymous BBC reader: I'll accept a cheque, but would prefer cash.

No comments: